The Health Club at Southpointe Fall Fitness Fair
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 18th
9:00 am – 2:00 pm
HEALTH EXPO PARTICIPANTS
* Canonsburg Hospital
* The Bone Density Center
* Jeffery’s Pharmacy –Derma Vue
* Bradley Physical Therapy
* Spa and Salon
* Wellness Chiropractic
* Appalachian Botanicals, LLC
A minimum $20 donation to ALSTDI allows you to try the Health Club at SouthPointe for 6 weeks.
Stop by the Appalachian Botanicals table to pick up some samples, information, and enter Chinese Auction.
"Maintain Don't Gain"
Six-week healthy challenge to maintain and reach your goals
MEMBERS & NON-MEMBERS WELCOME
For More Information call 724/597-0014
World Health Mission to Nigeria Jan. 2007
Heidi Weinhold, a Naturopathic Doctor in Peters Township, recently completed a three week medical mission to Nigeria. She was a member of a small team that traveled to Nigeria with the World Health Mission. Part of their mission was to set up diabetic testing sites and to collect data on over 2,000 patients. Much of the medical supplies were donated by local physicians. "The conditions in the medical facilities could be quite primitive," says Weinhold, "but the grace and gratitude of the people of Nigeria really touched me." Many Nigerians would end their consultations with expressions of gratitude such as, "may God bless you abundantly for your good work" or "May you be rewarded to what is nearest to your heart." I have maintained friendships through e-mail with doctors and Governors that I met on my trip.
"Water and electricity were not always available. Under nutrition, lack of clean water supply, and poverty were everywhere." Nigeria has the highest population affected with HIV in Africa. We dispensed immune support at the APIN Clinic in Jos, where 10,000 patients infected with HIV are enrolled."
Dr. Weinhold will be housing a Nigerian Doctor for a week in April in an exchange program through the Bethel Park Rotary. "The faces of Nigeria have stayed with me and I will continue to aide the effort of raising much needed medical supplies."
Student Rainforest Expedition to Costa Rica
Dr. Heidi Weinhold, ND from Southwest College, Dr. Steve Morris, ND from Bastyr, and Dr. Dan Wagner PharmD,MBA, RPh will lead a group of up to 20 Naturopathic students and physicians on the 2007 SRFexpedition to Costa Rica August 24-September 2, 2007. The exciting itinerary is listed below.
This summer the students will spend three days and nights at the Palo Verde Lodge, a facility owned and operated by the Organization for Tropical Studies (OTS). The Palo Verde Nature Reserve is a unique tropical dry forest and contains the best wetlands in all of Costa Rica. The students will also have the distinct honor of being special guests at the Newmark's Luna Nueva Organic Farm and Turmeric Estate. New Chapter, a leading U.S. manufacturer of quality herbal supplements, owns a 74 acre organic ginger estate. The ginger farm radiates a lushness and vibrancy that reflects the company's commitment to environmental preservation and nutrient-enhancing growing practices.
This expedition will be reserved for ND students and doctors from only qualified Naturopathic institutions. This is SRF's second visit to Costa Rica (others trips have been to Belize, Guatemala and Peru).
It is a once-in-a-lifetime chance for Naturopathic students to work hand in hand with indigenous healers, learn about medicinal plants, ethnobotany, visit a foreign country and learn language and culture, and of course, most importantly, learn a more holistic approach to healing and medicine. We are applying for Continuing Education Credits for attending naturopathic students and doctors through Southwest College.
I invite you to visit the website http://www.studentrainforestfund.org/ and learn a little about our unique student rainforest organization now in its 12th year. Please contact Heidi Weinhold ND Phone # 724-969-6906 or Dan Wagner at Nutri-Farmacy 412-486-4588 if interested. The cost for each student (from Houston) will be $1,550. We may make other arrangements for students coming from the East to fly through Miami.
Heidi Weinhold ND
Casa Luna Nueva
The itinerary for Ethnobotany in Costa Rica is:
- Friday Aug 24 Fly into San Jose Costa Rica, overnight @ Irazu Hotel
- Saturday Aug 25 Breakfast & travel to New Chapter Farm @ Luna Nuevo & tour farm for 3 days Lecture by Dr. Heidi Weinhold "Naturopathic Support for People Living with Cancer Undergoing Conventional Therapy." This lecture contains information for Naturopathic Students regarding what supplements interfere and which supplements enhance the effectiveness of conventional cancer therapy.
- Sunday Aug 26 Lectures by Dr. Dan Wagner "Ethnopharmacology"
Organic Botanical Agriculture by farm staff. Travel to visit volcano Aranel
- Monday Aug 27 Leave New Chapter and travel to Palo Verde Lodge, owned by the Organization for Tropical Studies (OTS)
- Tuesday Aug 28 Stay at Palo Verde until Thursday afternoon. The Lodge sits in the Palo Verde National Forest and is Costa Rica's main area for dry forests and wetlands. The students will have time for jungle walks, ethnobotany, and a lecture by Dr. Morris on "Medicinal Botany". Dr. Steve Morris, a naturopathic physician from Mukiltea,Washington, has extensive experience in teaching medicinal plants and ethnobotany in the rain forest of three continents. He has been a member of the SRF Board of Advisors since 1995, and the Vice President since 2005.
- Thursday Aug 30 In the afternoon we travel to Monteverde and stay at the Monteverde Lodge. The students will have time to hike the cloud forest, horseback ride, and learn about medicinal plants.
- Saturday Sept 1 Leave for San Jose and visit craft markets
- Sunday Sept 2 Early departure for home
Notes: Please submit refundable deposit of $250 to Student Rainforest Fund, PO Box 238, Wildwood, PA 15091. Price includes all meals, transportation, lodging and airfare. Full refund is available up to 6 weeks prior to trip. Please view previous tours by Student Rainforest Fund at their website http://www.studentrainforestfund.org/